ART and Design
HOW WE LEARN
At Manorfield CE Primary School, we aim to provide an Art and Design Curriculum that builds on a child’s early creative experiences whilst enabling them to express themselves in a practical and inspiring way. Through learning about a wide range of Arts and Crafts, from various cultures and history, we hope to not only develop the children’s passion and love of the subject but also build a respect, natural inquisitiveness and an appreciation of art in all its forms which they may carry with them throughout their lives. Art and Design stimulates imagination and creativity; involving children in a range of visual, tactile and sensory experiences, which enable them to communicate what they see, think and feel in a range of ways, regardless of their ability.
Art and Design, at Manorfield, promotes careful observation and an appreciation of the world around us. Through learning about the roles and functions of art, children can explore the impact it has on different periods and cultures.
The aims of teaching Art and Design in our school are:
- To engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design.
- As pupils progress through school, they should begin to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
- To produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences in their sketchbooks.
- To become proficient in drawing, painting and other art, craft and design techniques.
- To evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- To know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
At Manorfield CE Primary school, we aim to provide an Art and Design Curriculum which develops learning and results in pupils knowing more, remembering more and understanding how the knowledge and skills can be applied in their own art work. Children at Manorfield learn that art can tell a story and spread an important message. By becoming Art critics themselves, they are able to explore the meaning behind art work and learn how we can all interpret a piece of art work in our own unique way. Through exploring the work of artists, children further build on our core values of respect and empathy. Creativity across all the curriculum allows all children, regardless of ability, to apply what they have learnt and solidify key ideas. It can bring key concepts to life and provide valuable, alternative ways for children to record and demonstrate their understanding. Art is not restricted to the Art lesson and children often have the opportunity to apply their art skills and support their learning in other areas, whether it be art linked to poetry writing in English or developing on drama used to explore life in a different period in history.
Art and Design skills are taught through a number of different units and where possible connected to the overarching topic for the term.
ART and DESIGN CURRICULUM
PROGRESSION OF VOCABULARY AND SKILLS MAP
Assessment in Art and Design is ongoing and based on individual lessons and units. A feedback sheet is completed at the end of each lesson and used at the end of a unit to assess progress against the National Curriculum objectives. .
KEY SKILLS VIDEOS